miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Friday 7 August 2015

miss b loves......Munich in the summer.



A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Munich, a favourite city of mine. I've often been there in the winter but walking around in warmer temperatures really appealed to me. There are so many impressive buildings around every corner......


The National Theatre, home to the Bavarian State Opera
 and the Bavarian State Ballet



There's an abundance of cafés, beer gardens and restaurants with terraces too. One of the advantages of visiting at this time of year is being able to eat and drink al fresco! 




Paulaner is one of the well-known brands of beer. It has been brewed in the city since 1634 and is now exported to over 70 countries around the world!


A traditional wiener schnitzel
 served with cranberry sauce

When travelling, I enjoy wandering around local markets and Viktualienmarkt, in the centre of Munich, is a favourite of mine. 


I can recommend the coffee
 at Kaffee Rösterei too!


I was determined to climb the 306 steps to the top of the tower of St Peterskirche. Although I was beginning to regret it half way up, I'm glad I persevered as I was rewarded with a spectacular 360 degree view. 


The 'onion' towers of the Frauenkirche
 have become a symbol of the city

                     
Munich is renowned for its beautiful churches and the interior of Michaelskirche (St Michael's Church) is truly spectacular and filled with light.




Of course there were plenty of coffee (and cake) breaks during this trip......Day 1, I had no hesitation in choosing the 'Provence,' a work of art, at Maelu. There was a layer of chocolate sponge, mousse with a hint of lavender and chocolate cream in the centre.....divine!




No trip to Munich would be complete without a visit to Wirmachen Cupcakes.......


Strawberry Kiss 

....and I stumbled across White Rabbit's Room, a very cute café and gift shop.



Brenner is one of our favourite restaurants in the city and their desserts are particularly special too!


Cappuccino and a Spanische Vanilletorte
 to share.

I'd read about Nymphenburg Palace and knew it would be worth the fifteen minute tram ride out into the suburbs but it was so much bigger and grander than I expected ......






The Baroque style palace was the summer residence of the former Bavarian monarchs. It was commissioned in 1664 but has been extended and gradually transformed over the years.


It was the perfect day to wander around the beautiful grounds....



The Pagodenburg is a pretty two-storey octagonal pavilion built in the early 18th century.....


Hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers and they were in full bloom in the Botanical Gardens. A stunning display.....



Summer in Munich, wonderful!



To read about our previous trips to Munich click here 


37 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I haven't visited Munich in going on six years now, though I still remember it as though it were yesterday! You've brought back some very welcome memories :) You always find the most delicious foods to enjoy - and I'm always very grateful for you sharing them on your blog afterwards haha!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're very welcome, Gabrielle!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, summery view of Munich! Your images just shine. I always love that you include some sugary confection for our viewing pleasure (I'm currently off the sugar after a decadent 2 weeks of holiday!)-and thank you. I was in Munich in the winter once, back in the late 90's. It was beautiful but cold. I remember we woke up to snow on the ground. Thanks for sharing this glimpse with our lifestyle linkup!
    Happy weekend Miss B!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to join the lifestyle link up, Heather!

      Delete
  3. Such GORGEOUS photos! 360 steps?? good for you and such a reward when you reached the top;) My girlfriend JUST returned from Munich and some of these pictures look familiar. It's 8:30 a.m. and I'm hungry....the food looks scrumptious as always. Enjoy your weekend! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Miss B! You brouht childhood memories to my mind, I visited it in summer as well ans I think is just a wonderful city, their sweets especially are unforgettable, you did well to spoil yourself :) The Nymphenburg palace is impressive and what gardens too! Enjoy the weekend and the summertime! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wonderful photos ! I have always wanted to get to Munich. It looks so charming. I am going to save this because you always have the best recommendations for cafes and lovely spots. That palace would be wonderful to see too! Hope you are enjoying summer! x Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. It's so historical. Good thing they were able to preserve the buildings. The food looks good. I would like to visit the St Michael's Church. The palace is worth a visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Munich sounds wonderful, miss b. The old church is beautiful, and I just love all the old churches that are filled with so much history. The hydrangeas are lovely, and the food looks scrumptious, especially that pink cupcake.

    You do know how to have a grand time when you're traveling to different places.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always like to make the most of our time! Researching the area before we visit always helps too.

      Delete
  8. Je ne connais pas de tout Munich. Mais après regarder tes photos ça donne très envie! Des très jolies photos! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I can definitely see why Munich is one of your favorite cities. It sure looks to be full of history and beautiful architecture.360 steps sounds a little daunting but at least you were rewarded with a truly marvelous view!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive never been to Munich and I must say that I am now tempted! Wonderful photos, beautiful buildings and those cakes!! I would travel there for the Provence cake alone! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for taking us on this little trip with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I've missed reading about your trips Miss B! Munich is lovely. Isn't it something how a place you once visited looks totally different when in a different season? Their sweets look so delicious and that church is gorgeous.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Munich looks great through your lens, miss B! I love that kind of architecture, so I'd love to visit it one day! The sweets look tempting, but I am a beer lover, so that would be my choice. It's nice that you had the chance to see the city in summer too!

    sunandsany

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been admiring your images on Instagram. Munich is so beautiful, my grandmother is from there, so seeing your photos makes me think of my father's family. Glad that you enjoyed it, as always thanks for sharing such great ventures with us miss b. xx/M
    Luxe Vegan Skincare

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to Munich and hadn't really ever considered it but it does look stunning. I'm not a coffee girl but I do like treating myself to cakes and your choices do look delicious and at least, I'd just have to make sure I look for those 306 steps to burn it off - it would certainly be worth the view as you say. I love touring the food markets when I go on holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for taking me back to Munich, and giving me a tour to places I haven't visited yet. The palace looks magnificent! I've only been to the outside of the market where we had dinner with my friend that I haven't seen since 1993, so I didn't have time to wander around. Maybe next time, on another summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning photos. Ah the gorgeous beer gardens and enjoying a cold pint al fresco.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. So beautiful. Munich looks incredible. I would to visit this stunning city.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tes photos me donnent envie d'aller à Munich (c'est une honte mais je ne connais pas du tout l'Allemagne). Et ce gâteau "Provence"....une petite oeuvre d'art !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been to Germany twice, both times to Berlin. I love the city so much that I would go back again in a heartbeat, but I think my love for Berlin blinds me a bit to what other German cities have to offer - even though I know it's a lot! Munich looks absolutely lovely through your photographs, I am going to have to visit one day soon :)
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely take a trip to Munich. Well worth it!

      Delete
  21. Looks really lovely city... perfect for summer chill ;)

    Have a great start of the week :)
    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome photography, dear! Would love to visit Munich some day too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. So kind of you all to take the time to write such positive comments. I'm always happy to return to Munich, a city which has so much to offer and one which I have no hesitation in recommending! Always a pleasure to share my experiences too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been to Munich twice during the past two weeks but only to the airport. I've only spent one weekend in this beautiful city but that was too short. Love all your pics! I'm currently in Dubai, one of your favourite places. It's an interesting place.

    www.LUXESSED.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. miam miam je prendrais bien un schnitzel avec une petite biere là!
    bise


    www.letiziabarcelona.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Miss B you are the best tour guide. This post was absolute heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I went in March a few years back and practically froze to the posts I leaned on

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello darling Miss B! Just checking in to say 'Hello'. Miss seeing you around blogland. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you Heather. So nice of you to pop by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just dropped by to say Merry Christmas ♥
    I haven't been posting lately but I can see we both are quiet lately.

    Anyway, I have a Christmas post
    (can't resist it) do visit when you have the time.


    http://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy New Year Miss B - loved seeing your Munich photos.
    Best wishes and hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely city. Munich sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing and really enjoy reading your post.
    http://kidslamps.blogas.lt/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I enjoyed every minute of this trip. Gorgeous photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...