miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Thursday 12 September 2013

miss b loves .......a stylish afternoon tea at Thornton Hall and a 'model village.'


Last Sunday was yet another birthday treat! The Red Letter Day Experience was one of my very special gifts which I received in June but I decided to enjoy it at the end of the summer...



The range of activities includes aerobic stunt flying, white water rafting and bungee jumping .......... but my experience was most certainly the perfect one for me! Did you really think for a moment that I'd been brave enough to bungee jump?


I finally selected the venue, Thornton Hall Hotel and Spa on The Wirral Peninsula, a beautiful area between Liverpool and North Wales ..........and what a great choice!


A glass of Prosecco was the perfect apéritif to sip whilst we perused the menu .....imagine how long it took to choose from the extensive list of loose teas, coffees and seventeen different jams and curds ..........




Just as well we didn't have to choose from the list of sandwiches and cakes (or we would still be there).......apparently we were going to be served all of them!!

Our tiered stand arrived with a quirky teapot each ......Organic Darjeeling Estate in the cupcake teapot for me ......


 .... and White Orchard in the toaster teapot for mr b......


To start...dainty finger sandwiches with such tasty fillings including my favourite, Loch Duart smoked salmon with dill crème fraîche and pickled cucumber ........


.........followed by the lightest scones, clotted cream and our choice of jams and curds..... apricot and amaretto, rhubarb and ginger, orange curd and lime curd!



The jams and curds are made in Llanasa, North Wales by Brian and Carol Horwich and many of the fruits used are grown in their garden. Their own hens provide eggs for the curds too!


Is your mouth watering yet? ...... Onto the cakes ........this was certainly a very stylish afternoon tea ......  raspberry macarons with a hint of rosewater, chocolate éclairs with lavender, millionaire's shortbread with gold leaf and tangy lemon tarts as good as any we have enjoyed in France!


Finally a 'strawberry split' ... a melt-in-the mouth fluffy mousse topped with stawberry purée......


...and after all that we were even offered more sandwiches!! I should mention the staff who are so attentive and friendly too. It's quite obvious why many guests are regulars here. 

It was just a little too cool to sit on the terrace but we could still enjoy the view from our table indoors........



Thornton Hall, built in the 1800s, was once the home of wealthy shipping merchants and it still retains some of its original features including oak panelling and beautiful ceilings ...... 


There are more contemporary areas too......


With gardens like these, no wonder it's a popular wedding venue.


There was a wonderfully colourful Asian wedding taking place while we were there but it seemed a little inappropriate to take photos even though I was tempted when I saw the spectacular dresses........I did however sneak just one from a distance ....



We needed to walk off all those cakes and where better than the village green, the heart of picturesque Thornton Hough.......



The village was mentioned in the Doomsday Book as Torontone but it gained its current name when the daughter of the local landowner Roger de Thorneton married Richard de Hoghe during the reign of Edward II.

It was developed in the late 1860s firstly by Joseph Hirst, a Yorkshire textile manufacturer and then by philanthropist William Lever, who created housing for employees at his nearby soap factory (Lever Brothers, now part of Unilever) in a similar way to his other 'model village' Port Sunlight.


PS A 'red letter day' is a special day. The term originates from Medieval times when days of significance such as holy days or saints' days were highlighted on the church calendar in red. Click here to read more about red days.


50 comments:

  1. oh, how cute and tasty!!!
    Those photographs are adorable!
    Wish you a blessed day ahead!

    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish................and so amazing garden in this place!:)*
    I love history vilagges,there are so much little charme and atmosphere!
    You let us see all these little charme,
    Thankyou!!!

    Wish you a very good end of the week,

    Hugs,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos...my mouth is most definitely watering! Hope you are having a good week:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy extended red-letter day! I'd love to have one even if my bday's still 4 months from now. I love the little historical backgrounds. I just had my wisdom teeth extracted and just eating a banana is a struggle, but the photos of the scones and sandwiches are just making me famished! The teapot and toaster are so cute, as if they belong to a Hobbit's house. Good for you to have enjoyed a day at Thornton Hall.
    Have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, incroyable ! Ce "tea time" me fait rêver, c'est vraiment typiquement anglais ! Le village aussi semble magnifique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First happy belated birthday! This looks so so amazing! love the teapots, so darn cute! Everything looks so yummy, I need a trip to our local tea parlour which is not near this but nice for my area! What a lovely time to celebrate your birthday! Hope you have a fabulous year!!

    Rosemary
    NYC Style and a little Cannoli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss B!:) Seems you have been totally spoiled. I never heard about red letter day you know. Btw, the place looks stunning and very peaceful, the perfect area where having some rest. I am actually drooling over everything you got to eat, too delicious and appetizing!:) The teapot is so adorable, would love to take part in an afternoon tea as this too!:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a darling red toaster tea pot! I love it! What a great spot for afternoon tea. The food looks delicious. I'd like to experience a Red Letter Day next year for my birthday:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth certainly was watering, it all looks so delicious and I adore Lemon Curd. Thank you for the history lesson, so fascinating and interesting xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth is watering Miss B! What a delightful birthday gift! I love that cupcake teapot and teapot toaster. Those are so cute. I wish they could make their way into my kitchen. HAHAHA The food looks so delicious and was presented so beautifully. Love the grounds! Impeccably manicured. I could walk around all day. So glad you enjoyed yourself and Happy Birthday my friend.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am about to go to sleep and I skipped dinner tonight. My stomach made a rumble when I looked at the amazing food. A very beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOu never cease to amaze me with your food exploits! Yummmmm! The first time I ever had high tea was in London...can't say where, ...it was the best ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mouth was watering right from the first photo! This looks and sounds like the most wonderfully indulgent afternoon treat, not to mention the perfect way to enjoy the last days of summer :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those tea pots are the best! What a delightful spot and such lovely treats. A great way to spend your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thornton Hall is a beautiful and very scenic place. Gosh, the Afternoon Tea is mouthwatering. Looks so delicious especially the Macarons and those tea sandwiches. The raspberry macaron with roséwater sounds divine. Amazing photos Miss B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad when I learn things about Britain, it's my dream to visit all places in there or even leave there. I was amazed with teapots you have on pictures and with all pastry. I think I'm going to grab a dessert right now :)
    http://cooking-wishes.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear. I'm trying to break the sugar habit... and your pictures of jams, curds and cakes has nearly sent me over the edge! It looks like a wonderful tea, and a lovely way to celebrate a birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I am glad you did not do a bungee jump this looks much more fun. What a great present. Wonderful food in a great setting

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely way to spend the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I nearly had to log off from your blog lol, because those foodie photos really were making my mouth water especially given I am currently suffering with a mid-afternoon slump.

    This place looks beautiful - gorgeous, idyllic grounds. A perfect place to catch up with an old mate maybe and just look out on to the view. I agree, definitely better than an action packed red letter day, but it would have been interesting to see you bungee jumping as well! lol!

    Looks like you had a great time in a place that i would have otherwise not known about.

    http://forcailini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love a tea...beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh gosh, I'm drooling all over my keyboard. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my dear friend ... your tea was breath taking ... and yes my mouth was definitely watering!!! and what a lovely place to walk off all that delicious and yummy food. Your adventures have me dreaming of afternoon tea in the UK ... and oh yes i must plan a red letter day with some friends soon.. hugs and blessings, C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  24. a lovely place to eat! and everything is so yummy!



    www.letiziabarcelona.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely. I would love to have an experience like this myself some day...
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful venue, I am just so pleased you didn't decide to do the bungee jump after the prosecco! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always have the most delicious foods on here. The jams and the shortbread and the éclair look so yummy. The ceiling at Thornton Hall is beautiful. I love the little teapots, they are delightful. You are certainly a worldly woman and your travels must bring you many memorable moments.

    Have a peaceful weekend.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my Miss B! Everything looked very tasty. And so fancy except for those playful little teapots. Just darling! Your day looked like so much fun. Thank you for allowing us to "join" you. Hugs!

    Debra@stylewisebydebra.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have made me drool Miss B! A sophisticated English tea experience is on my wish list!
    Love
    Coco et La vie en rose
    Coco et La vie en rose on Bloglovin
    Coco et La vie en rose on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow what an awesome treat! The photos of the food made me seriously hungry, everything looks unbelievably delicious, lucky girl!

    Hayfa
    http://londonloafers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Miss b, What a wonderful treat to have tea here. The desserts look amazing! What a darling village! Thanks for taking us along!

    xxKim

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everything looks so yummy and it looks like a great time!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now, this looks like it was definitely a first rate choice. The salmon sandwiches look so delicious as well as the entire area.Thorton Hall, yes what a beauty! I think I'd go crazy selecting the curds and jams, haha. Happy that you enjoyed Red Letter Day experience, and thanks for sharing as always, lovely. xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  34. That afternoon tea looks so delicious! I would have chosen the teatime instead of bungee jumping too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Miss B...what a wonderfully sweet gesture, I love attending high teas and this one looks so delectable. The teapot is too cute. And the venue exudes so much charm. The village is definitely something out of a movie...its a place I would love to live in.Thanks for your great comment.. Wishing you a great start to the week doll!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great way to spend an afternoon, and a much more preferable experience than sky diving or bungee jumping! I'll take tiny tea sandwiches, macarons, and personal tea pots any day. It looks like you enjoyed yourself thoroughly. xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. This would be such a wonderful lovely experience. It was so nice that you got to do this. Everything looks beautiful and the food looks so delicious and decadent! I know I would love to do something like this!

    Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a gorgeous spot for tea Miss B! Let the birthday celebrations continue!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  39. I find the whole tea thing fascinating from the menus to chinaware--great and inspiring post, dear

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful place, food and everything. Love the cupcake teapot. :)

    xx
    Heel in Mint

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's such a great gift. It looks like a wonderful way to spend the day. The food looks so yummy and the teapots are too adorable. I can't get over the beautiful buildings. Hope you have a great week.

    LittlePinkRainBoots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a gorgeous looking place!! great pictures :) Sounds like you've had some beautiful bday celebrations x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a lovely place to have your tea!!!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a divine afternoon that started with a sip of Prosecco.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE your blog so much! The layout is amazing.
    I'm your newest follower via google (322).
    I'd love it if you could check out my blog and follow me back as well Also,
    if you'd like to keep in touch via twitter,
    just do so and let me know so I cab follow back =)
    Have anice day, hugs Beyaz Sır <3
    http://whiteglaze.blogspot.com
    twitter: @_gamzeahmet_

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following. I will certainly have a look at your blog.

      Delete
  46. I love an afternoon tea... and your's looked delicious! Those photos of the scones are wonderful and even though I've had dinner, I would love one!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's reading lovely, positive comments like these which makes writing blog posts so worthwhile. Thank you very much for taking the time to visit my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Delicious food in a beautiful place! Thank you for sharing! Those quirky teapots certainly caught my attention; I had to Google them up!

    http://denimandgray.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...