I'm a huge fan of frittata and Spanish tortilla - it's perfect for a quick, tasty lunch or midweek meal. I picked up a recipe leaflet in Sainsbury's for this new potato, watercress and bacon version which is packed with fresh seasonal produce........
650g new potatoes (I used 450g as I wanted a lighter frittata)
1½ tbsp olive oil
200g bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
50g mature Cheddar cheese
6 medium free-range eggs, beaten
75g bag watercress
1. Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins. Remove from the heat, drain, then run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Cut into chunks and put in a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp of the olive oil in a 23cm frying pan and cook the bacon for 3-4 mins. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a further 5 mins.
3. Put the bacon, onion and garlic into the bowl with the potato chunks. Grate in the cheese and add the eggs and half the watercress. Mix to combine and season with black pepper.
4. Heat the grill to high. Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan, then pour in the frittata mixture and cook over a low heat for 15-20 mins.(The base should be set but the top still runny - make sure the base doesn't burn!!)
5. Put under the grill for a further 5-10 mins until fully set.
6. Serve sliced with the remaining watercress and a green salad.
miss b recommends:
- eat the frittata cold (just as delicious!) - ideal for packed lunches or picnics
- cut into bite-sized pieces for canapés or buffets
- vary the ingredients....add sliced mushrooms, chopped red peppers, sweetcorn etc.
- use a red onion or spring onions instead of the white onion.
More variations here